A passenger has a legal right to file a lawsuit against a negligent driver in Utah. If you got injured in a taxi, you are eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Passengers don’t need to prove liability, because it is the responsibility of the driver to drive safely. However, after an auto accident, the police will investigate from all angles to understand what caused the mishap. You should contact Moxie Law Group to get compensation for the injury.
How to Identify Who Was At Fault At the Time of the Auto Accident?
Usually, all accidents occur because of distraction and lack of focus. Even though a passenger sits in the vehicle, he or she can’t prevent an accident. So, if the driver hits the vehicle with another vehicle on the road, the driver can be held accountable.
Similarly, if the driver from the other side hits your vehicle, you can still file a case against that driver.
In the US, the doctrine of comparative fault is applied to determine the amount of fault of parties involved in the wreck. After a mishap, the investigative agency may conclude that a driver might be 65% to blame and the other driver will be 35% responsible for the mishap.
However, you need not worry. A passenger will never be held liable for an accident. But your insurance company may deny you a personal injury claim if you purposefully got into the car even after knowing that the driver was intoxicated at the time of driving. Let a legal expert handle the case professionally.
How to File a Personal Injury Claim
A passenger can file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver to get reimbursed for medical bills. Depending upon the severity of your injury, you can also file a claim for economic loss if you can’t go to work because of the accident.
As a passenger, you have to follow the same procedure for filing personal injury claims that others do. If you win the claim, you may get compensated for medical bills, economic losses, damages, pains, and agonies.
Take Proactive Steps After An Accident
After an accident, you need to note down the contact details of drivers’ insurance companies. You should also take photographs of the vehicles involved in the wreck. Try to take photographs from different angles, of the road conditions, and the nature of the injuries you sustained.
Gather some statements from nearby witnesses or fellow commuters. If there was no person, check out the necessary CCTV footage. Of course, you need the help of the Police to get copies of relevant CCTV footage.
Now, you should visit a nearby hospital and seek medical care. Once the doctor confirms that your injury is minor, you can go home and contact a lawyer. However, you need to stay in the hospital if your doctor advises you on some follow-up blood tests and diagnosis. When you are recuperating in a hospital bed, it’s the best time to contact an expert attorney.